Amazon has got this 10,000 BTU Fridigaire air conditioner unit with remote, (model #FRA103BT1) for just $279.99 with free shipping. Click on the item page and then click on where it says "5 new from $279.99."
And then the first choice listed should be $279.99 with free Amazon Prime or SuperSaver shipping. The reviews were mostly good, with a few purchasers claiming this air conditioner was loud and then others claiming it was very quiet. Here's one reviewer:
With unusual mid-nineties temperatures here for weeks, replacing our defunct window-shaker with the Frigidaire air conditioner was the best decision I could have made. It was delivered with the week, I installed it in the window, and it works like a dream, and is quiet, too. It cools the not only the living room, but the kitchen and two other rooms. The remote control is an added bonus. I couldn't be happier with my choice...and the price was very reasonable with no shipping charges. Thanks so much.
- 10,000 BTU 115-volt window-mounted compact air conditioner can cool a room size up to 500 sq. ft.
- Energy saver mode conserves energy and saves you money.
- Effortless temperature control maintains preset room temperature so you will remain at your comfort level.
- 8-way comfort control design allows you to easily control the direction of the air wherever the unit is mounted.
- The fresh air vent/exhaust control removes odors and freshens air.
- Tilt-out, antimicrobial filter with clean filter alert cleans the air removing harmful bacteria.
When buying an air conditioner, make sure you match up the size of the room to the number of BTUs of the unit. These are the recommended BTU's for a given cooling area from Consumer Reports:
- Small room: 5,000 - 6,000 BTU for 100-300 sq. ft.
- Medium room: 7,000 - 8,200 BTU for 250-550 sq. ft.
- Large room: 9,800 to 12,500 BTU's for 350-950 sq. ft. area.
Buying an air conditioner follows the same rules as buying any other household appliance, so check out some of my frugal appliance-buying tips here and here. When buying an air conditioner unit, I like to stick to well-known brand names like Frigidaire, LG, or Freidrich. Buying one online has the huge advantage of shipping deals for a very heavy item, like the free SuperSaver shipping on Amazon or the $2.95 standard shipping at Overstock.com. When you buy from a store, you usually have to haul it home yourself or pay $30-$60 delivery fee.